Severe disease progression of corticosteroid dependent ulcerative colitis in a young child before the era of biological therapy
Kristýna Zárubová1, Jiří Bronský2, Katarína Mitrová3,4
1 Pediatrická klinika 2. LF UK a FN Motol, Praha
2 Oddělení dětské gastroenterologie, Pediatrická klinika 2. LF UK a FN Motol, Praha
3 IBD clinical and research centre ISCARE a.s., Prague, Czech Republic
4 Department of Paediatrics, 2nd Faculty of Medicine, Charles University and University Hospital Motol, Prague, Czech Republic
Colectomy is a treatment option in ulcerative colitis (UC) management in patients with severe UC or pharmacotherapy failure. We present a case of a young patient with severe and corticosteroid dependent UC that was going to be treated with colectomy. However, before deciding to perform the surgery, we successfully used treatment with infliximab, although it was not commonly used in this indication at that time.
Keywordsinfliximab, childhood, colectomy, steroid-dependency
To read this article in full, please register for free on this website.
Benefits for subscribers
Benefits for logged users
1. Mamula P, Markowitz JE, Cohen LJ et al. Nfliximab in pediatric ulcerative colitis: two‑year follow‑up. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 2004; 38 (3): 298–301.
2. Turner D, Mack D, Leleiko N et al. Severe pediatric ulcerative colitis: a prospective multicenter study of outcomes and predictors of response. Gastroenterology 2010; 138 (7): 2282–2291. doi: 10.1053/j.gastro.2010.02.047.
3. Aloi M, D’Arcangelo G, Capponi M et al. Managing paediatric acute severe ulcerative colitis according to the 2011 ECCO‑ESPGHAN guidelines: Efficacy of infliximab as a rescue therapy. Dig Liver Dis 2015; 47 (6): 455–459. doi: 10.1016/j.dld.2015. 01.156.
4. Diamanti A, Knafelz D, Panetta F et al. Thalidomide as rescue therapy for acute severe ulcerative colitis. Eur Rev Med Pharmacol Sci 2014; 18 (12): 1690–1693.
5. Turner D, Levine A, Kolho KL et al. Combination of oral antibiotics may be effective in severe pediatric ulcerative colitis: a preliminary report. J Crohns Colitis 2014; 8 (11): 1464–1470. doi: 10.1016/j.crohns.2014.05.010.
6. Aloi M, D‘Arcangelo G, Pofi F et al. Presenting features and disease course of pediatric ulcerative colitis. J Crohns Colitis 2013; 7 (11): e509–e515. doi: 10.1016/j.crohns.2013.03.007.